ABBE REGIONAL LIBRARY SYSTEM
JOB VACANCY POSTING
DEPARTMENT: Aiken County Public Library DATE: August 1, 2018
CLASSIFICATION: Youth Services Assistant STARTING WAGE: $10.00 / hour
Under the direct supervision of the Youth Services Librarian, assist with programming and maintaining order in the youth areas. Must exercise independent judgement and be able to organize and complete work. The schedule is varied and can include day, evening and weekend hours depending on the youth services programming schedule. This position is 20 hours per week.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assisting and facilitating programming including: story time, special events, and summer reading for ages 0-18.
- Help prepare crafts for programs.
- Help plan and assist with quarterly visits to schools, specifically targeting middle and high schools to promote teen events and encourage increased teen use of the library.
- Create signs for programs and assist with displays in the children’s area.
- Upload children’s and teen events to social media and the library website.
- Assist with collection maintenance by shelving and straightening, and performing similar duties as required.
- Assist library patrons with information needs, especially in the children’s department.
- Maintain a presence in the children’s and teen area when not working in other areas.
- General clerical duties.
- Assist the circulation and reference departments and the ABBE Children’s Librarian.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of computer applications and Internet searching techniques, basic mathematical ability, ability to establish cordial relationships with the public and library staff members, and skill in written and oral communication.
MINIMUM TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
Requires at least 2 years of college credit or an Associate’s degree, or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Experience with computers required. Previous employment in a library is desirable.
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
Must be physically able to push and pull a loaded book truck and move up to 30 pounds at a time.
RECRUITMENT PERIOD: Open Until Filled.
APPLY: Aiken County Public Library, 314 Chesterfield Street, SW, Aiken, SC, 29801.
Print and fill out this application (PDF) and bring it to the library, or pick up an application there.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Non-discrimination on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin, religion, age and handicapped status in employment or the provision of services.